2005-07-29

Prequel

I started this project sometime during 2003, while still working at Alcatel Space Norway. There I had a few hi-fi enthusiasts to bother with questions, and the most enthusiastic of the enthusiasts, Lars Aanestad(?) presented this design for me, from the December 1995 issue of Elektor magazine. The IGBT seemed like an all right alternative to the Holsöe SL-8001 that was really the only other design I had in mind. The transistors of the Holsöe were obsolete and hard to get [incorrect: proves they're still going strong and are real cheap from ELFA], so as both my father and godfather has one and I wanted something a bit different I soon began harvesting components for the IGBT. Shortly after, I found out that also the IGBTs seemed obsolete, or at least hard to get.

 

During my engagement at ASN, Lars made me a pair of PCBs for the amplifier, and I had come to lay my hands upon most of the expensive components: 12 x 10mF electrolytic capacitators, 3 pairs of IGBTs, 2 x torodial transformers and a 19" aluminium chassis.

 

As my engagement at ASN ended, the project hibernated for a few years, until I recently picked it up again and started this work log.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home