2005-08-17

Enclosure

I'm thinking of maybe switching from the ready-made 19" cabinet I have, to a home-made one. I saw how Aura Z8A used the heat sinks to make the enclosure, and I figured I might be able to do the same with mine; 16cm deep, 10cm tall, and then see how wide I need it to be to fit it all in? Well, I can probably increase at least the height without too much fuzz.

BV Audio P300 got me thinking I might be able to build an enclosure if I get a tinsmith to cut a few sheets of aluminium for me (or find some way of actually cutting straight with an electrical hacksaw), and then bend the edges the very same way that i.e. Denon does. Add a few screws and it's all set.

BV Audio P300 also got me thinking about the visual design of the front. Would a copper or brass front be nice with the matte black casing? And what and how many indicators do I want in front? I could have one indicator for every step the amplifier goes through; 220V on, first step of delay power-on, second step of delay power-on (on), when the speakers get turned on, plus possibly a Power Good indicator. All these steps could be indicated using three two-colour LEDs: one that is red when 220V is turned on, red+green when the first step of the delay power-on kicks in, and green when the second step of the delay power-on kicks in. The other two LEDs are red if power is good (within accepted voltage range), and green when the speakers are turned on. This could even be expanded to include a second step of relays, so that the power isn't applied to the amplifiers if it isn't within acceptable limits, and that the speakers aren't turned on if the amplifiers doesn't have power. This does, of course, make the project a wee bit bigger, but it might be something to keep in mind?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home